Speaking ahead of the event, Cllr Chris O’Leary said, “This week marks the first anniversary of the intervention by the EU and IMF in Ireland’s affairs last November. “Since then we have had a general election, but the new government has failed to renegotiate the bailout deal and instead followed the failed Fianna Fáil policies of paying billions into the banks while imposing cutbacks on lower and middle-income earners.
“Unemployment is higher today than it was last November, a further 40,000 of our young people have emigrated, and there is no sign of a return to economic growth.
“While ordinary taxpayers are squeezed, the government has been paying out billions to bondholders in the now-defunct Anglo-Irish Bank.
“Following the handover of €750 million a couple of weeks ago, there will be four more payments in January one totalling €1.25 billion.
“It is time to say enough is enough. On Saturday Sinn Féin will be holding a protest at Daunt Square, calling on the government to stop the handover of taxpayers’ money to international bondholders and to renegotiate the deal with the IMF.
“We invite members of the public to come along and join us,” he said.
The protest will commence at 1pm in Daunt Square, Cork on Saturday, November 26th and is part of a nationwide day of action being organised by Sinn Féin.